You want to set sail with your yacht? It is important that you ensure in advance that the yacht equipment is completely on board. For a tour, whether only a few hours or over several days or even weeks, there are some things that you can not do without in any case. At the latest, when the itinerary is set, you should take care of the yacht equipment.
Safety, tools, clothing – in this article we will show you what equipment you really need and what is important.
Why is the yacht equipment so important?
Yacht equipment fulfills several tasks. The most important is undoubtedly safety. If an emergency occurs at sea, you can help yourself or even save yourself with the right equipment. Always check carefully in advance that everything you need is on board. In addition, carry out a check-up of all equipment and material in order to detect defects or deficiencies in good time and to rectify them, thus avoiding unpleasant surprises. Also remember that safety equipment such as fire extinguishers, life rafts, life jackets, fire alarms and, for example, EPIRB need regular maintenance and certification. We will gladly take care of the expiration dates and make sure that all your facilities and equipment are up-to-date.
What do you have to think about when it comes to yacht equipment?
Life jackets and life rafts, man-over-board detectors and satellite transmitters, first aid kit, flashlight, anchor with chain, position lights – the list of yacht equipment is not exactly short. Nevertheless, you should not do without some basic equipment. Please also consider that tools and a liability insurance are part of the equipment. Of course you can always contact us at Merk & Merk. With us you can buy your yacht and also get professional advice regarding the yacht equipment. With our exclusive Yacht Service we take care of your equipment and you can sit back and relax.
A first, small overview of the most important equipment you will get below.
The yacht equipment around the engine
- Engine and transmission oil
- Fuel and oil filters
- Coolant and cooling water
- Fuel level in the tank
- Visual inspection of the engine
The electric yacht equipment
For the electrical equipment you should think about the following components:
- Position lights including spare bulbs
- navigation equipment
- Radio set (VHF sets have a coverage of almost 30 nautical miles in good weather)
- Battery and water check indicator
- Pump (If all your pumps on board are automatic, it would make sense to get a manual one as well in case of power failure)
- Navigational aids, such as compass
- paper chart
- anchor winch
- Switches and circuit breakers
- Boat documents
- Think about upgrading your boat to an independent solar yacht with solar panels.
The yacht equipment around the life on the boat
- Fresh and waste water
- on-board toilet
- water tank
- Holding Tank
- Waste water pumps
- gas cylinders
- kitchen equipment
- bed linen
- Personal items
The yacht equipment in the outdoor area
- Sails and steering
- Inspection front of boat, stern, sides, bottom of hull, forecastle boxes
- Spare tiller
- mooring line
- spare anchor
- Pump for boats
- shore power cable
- Cable drum
- Life ring or lifebelts
- Life light buoys
- spare parts
- Bosun’s chair
The yacht equipment for your safety
- Life jackets
- Life raft
- safety belts
- Fire extinguisher, fire blanket
- First aid kit
- distress beacons
Especially in the field of emergency signaling devices, there are now a lot of new technologies, all of which you can purchase from us.
- Automatic Identification System for Man Overboard Rescue: The system sends a warning message within seconds to all local and for this system receptive ships.
- EPIRB – Emergency Positioning Life Beacon: This locating device sends a signal to help locate a lifeboat or even people in distress.
- SART – Search and Rescue Transmitter: When a radar beam hits the device, it sends back a radar signal, creating a strong “echo” on the radar screen.
- PLB – Personal Life Beacon (devices for swim wests): This swim-ready device contains a digital display that accurately shows live status as well as GPS coordinates.
- Satellite Pager, like Garmin InReach Mini 2: Communication without cellular reception, SOS messages, high battery life – travel safely with this satellite communication device.
The yacht equipment at the clothing
With regard to the choice of clothing, you should orient yourself on the weather conditions that currently prevail where you are setting off with your sailing yacht. Basically, the ideal sailing clothing is multifunctional and can be stowed quickly to save space. It should always be designed for different conditions and bring high resistance to moisture, UV radiation, salt and mechanical abrasion. When choosing yacht equipment, place emphasis on high quality fabrics to ensure durable and reliable functionality. You will thank yourself in wind, downpours or strong sunlight. In addition, the garments should be breathable and guarantee you a high level of comfort. After all, you need to perform at your best while sailing all day long.
This is what belongs in your suitcase when it comes to equipment:
- waterproof and windproof sailing jacket
- water- and windproof trousers
- sailing shoes
- sailing gloves and hats
- light clothing
- sun protection
After a long sailing trip, we at Merk & Merk will take over yacht management for you at any time. Whether repairs, maintenance or painting – we bring your yacht back to shape.
If you have any questions about yacht equipment, we will be happy to advise you personally at any time. Simply get in touch with us!